LIC—What is its Purpose? Recognizing that Jesus calls all people to be one, the Louisiana Interchurch Conference, representing diverse communions, strives to proclaim in word and deed to the people, churches and institutions of Louisiana that faith which we hold in common, in the hope that by our common witness we will grow toward greater unity in Christ Jesus.
Priorities, Strategies, and Principles:
1. Pray Together—
- Judicatory leaders, clergy, and lay members will schedule, plan and host periodic assemblies and other means of cooperative prayer for both ecumenical and interfaith services.
- Develop deeper understanding of other faith traditions through dialogue.
- Recruit, educate, involve and support the next generation of ecumenical leaders.
3. Advocate for Social Justice and Public Policy—
- Advocate for Social Justice and Public Policy issues which demand LIC’s attention and fall within its scope and purpose.
- Address relevant social justice and public policy issues of ministry the church faces, and provide practical means for application in both rural and urban areas.
4. Communicate/Collaborate— Improve internal and external
a) Identify and expand networking, resources, and training within and through LIC membership; make available to others.
b) Plan an external program of public relations to include publicity for LIC activities.
c) Expand the data base to include all relevant parties.
5. Expand membership by increasing the number of people
actively involved in LIC. Intensify the LIC Annual Assembly
by making it more exciting and interactive.
- Strengthen regional participation among members.
- Model what it means to live the faith we hold in common.
- Maintain and cultivate mutual, intrinsic respect among members and leadership.
- Be active and intentional in efforts to be inclusive of all geographic areas and demographics of Louisiana both in recruitment of new leadership and in extending ecumenism to the grass roots.
- Clarify and streamline the structure of LIC—including commissions and task forces—to make certain the structure is serving the organization’s mission and ministries, not the organization serving the structure.
As Amended by Annual Assembly
March 5-6, 2007; PEACE revision Sept. 2012.